What Are Winged Beans? + A Delicious Winged Bean Stir-Fry Recipe!

You know how they say that you learn something new every day? Well, I just did!

Every time I visit my good friends over at Bountiful Farms, I'm always learning something new about the produce that they grow. Over the course of time that I've been visiting them, I've learned a lot about the food we eat, and I'm going to share some that recent knowledge with you today.

On my latest visit to the farm, I was educated on a new type of vegetable that I'm going to talk to about in today's post. And that veggie on the agenda is... Winged beans!

Wait a second, you might be saying. What in the world is a winged bean? 

To some of you, it might sound like an unusual vegetable. But that's why I'm going to let you in on how wonderful winged beans really are, and how you can incorporate them into your recipes.





What Is A Winged Bean?

Winged beans are a type of leg that originated out of South and Southeast Asia. They get their common name from their rectangular pods. Along with its beautiful look, the winged bean can be considered an all-in-one package when it comes to incorporating them into your dishes. The leaves, stems, flowers, and all of its other parts are considered edible in one way or another. Not only is it extremely versatile, but it is also packed with nutrition that offers benefits to those who eat them.



Here's a couple facts about winged beans to give you some extra knowledge on them:

  • They are rich in vitamin C

  • Their pods are extremely low in calories (a typical portion is approximately 49 calories).

  • They are rich in calcium and also contain some important healthy fats.

  • They also contain an ample amount of iron, manganese, phosphorus and magnesium







A Delicious Stir-Fry Using Winged Beans!



Like I said before, winged beans are a considerably versatile ingredient that can be incorporated in just about anything. However, a more common use for these beans is cooking them like a stir-fry. And that is the recipe that I'm going to share with you today!

A great food blog called Herbivoracious has a wonderful recipe for Stir Fry Winged Beans, and I definitely recommend it for anyone who's looking for a way to use this ingredient. 

But don't forget, winged beans can be used however your heart desires! Don't feel limited to how you eat them, however you want to enjoy winged beans is totally up to you!







A Quick Message!

Well, that about sums it up for today's post. But before I go, I'd like to make a quick shout-out!

As I stated at the top of the article, I got my knowledge on this wonderful legume over at Bountiful Farms. If you're ever in their area and would like to try some, stop on over and buy some of their amazing and organically-grown produce. I enjoy it every time I visit them, I bet you will enjoy it too!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Favorite AIP "Cheese"

What is Cone Cabbage? + Deconstructed Asian Cabbage Roll Recipe